Shivamogga: Life giving water turned deadly in the village of Maidolalu in the Shivamogga district, when a father and his son lost their lives to the contaminated water flowing through the taps that were set up by the Gram Panchayat.
About 30 others have taken ill after consuming the contaminated water and fear of an outbreak has gripped the small village.
The father and son duo, Shivappa (75) and Hanumanthappa (35), were rushed to McGann Hospital on February 10 after they took ill after drinking water from an overhead tank. They succumbed the next day.
The others who have fallen sick have been taken to the McGann and Subbaiah hospitals. The officials concerned are currently in a mad scramble to find a solution to the problems caused by the contaminated drinking water.
Venkatesh, District Health Officer (DHO), Shivamogga, said that they found that the water in the overhead tank was contaminated as well as the fact that the tank had not been cleaned in a year.
Several students are among those who have fallen sick after consuming the contaminated water.
Assuring that the situation was under control, former DHO Hanumanthappa said that water and stool samples were collected as soon as the cases were detected. He also said that clinics were set up in the village to treat those who fell ill.
With the number of sick still on the rise, the officials are awaiting the lab results to figure out the cause of the deaths.
Th villagers on the other hand, are riled up and are demanding strict action against those responsible.
Water tankers are being deployed till the regular supply in the village is declared fit for human consumption.
© Copyright NewsKarnataka 2016 . All Rights Reserved. Crafted By: ThinkPace