News Karnataka

Helium balloons explode injuring three during Suthuru annual fair

Helium balloons explode injuring three during Suthuru annual fair

Feb 05, 2019 04:04:41 PM (IST)

Helium balloons explode injuring three during Suthuru annual fair-1Mysuru: During inauguration of wrestling conducted as part of Suttur Jathra Mahotsav at Suttur while it was being inaugurated by Swamiji the nitrogen balloon got exploded. Couple of people including senior wrestlers escaped with minor injuries. Four persons, including Suthuru mutt seer and MLC Marithibbegowda were injured.

After few minutes the event went on. A video of the incident has gone viral. 

The balloons tied near the stage sudden exploded making a huge noise. A fire pit close to the balloons seems to be the reason behind the mishap.

Suttur seer Shivaratri Deshikendra Swami, MLC Marithibbegowda, Kalmalli Shivakumar and Hosakote Devanna are the injured.

The injured have been treated at make shift JSS hospital which is set at exhibition.

Sources from the police say that it is suspected the balloons were filled with hydrogen.

ML Shekhar, Police Inspector, Suttur said, "We suspect hydrogen was used to fill the balloon instead of helium since it is cheaper and more easily available. We have been told that it was used to fill the balloons. Due to the heat from the lamp on the aarti plate, the balloon has exploded and set off a chain reaction.”

Watch Video here: