Mangaluru: Udupi Deputy Commissioner G Jagadeesh, who is also appointed as the Executive Magistrate to probe Mangaluru police firing incident has said that about 50 video footage have been submitted and a total of 203 witnesses have appeared before the investigating body so far.
It may be recalled that the Mangaluru police had opened fire at violent protesters, who were staging a protest against CAA in the city on December 19. Two persons had lost their lives in the incident.
Speaking to the media on Thursday, February 13 at Mini Vidhana Soudha he said, “A direction to the Mangaluru City Police Commissioner was given to produce the video footage of the incident. As a result, we have received 50 video clips in a pen drive. Around 20 DVRs that were seized by the police have been submitted to the court. This was presented before the court by ACP and nodal police officer Belliyappa.”
“We have a total of 203 witnesses till date, out of which 201 have already given their statements. Two had appeared before the Executive Magistrate today. They have also given us evidence in writing”, he said and added that police and the civilians have been asked to produce any footage they have, which are connected to the firing incident.
The matter, he said will come up before the Karnataka High Court on February 24. All the evidence collected so far will be produced before the court.
“However, the court has given us three-month-time to probe into the matter. We have to interrogate the police as well. There is still a long investigation procedure pending. Only after a complete investigation, a full-fledged report will be placed before the court”, he said.
DC Jagadeesh said that due to ‘Karnataka Bundh’ the investigation process had been halted today. He said that the process will resume on February 19 from 11 am to 1 pm.
Meanwhile, he has said that the social media video clips would not be entertained.
© Copyright NewsKarnataka 2020 . All Rights Reserved.
Website maintained by Technixserv