Mangaluru: Among the 15 candidates who filed their nomination for the Mangaluru Lok Sabha constituency, one candidate has withdrawn his nomination and another’s nomination was rejected. Thus, a total of 13 candidates are in the fray now.
Though 15 candidates had filed their nominations, Sudarshan’s nomination filed as a substitute for BJP candidate, was rejected. Another candidate Ismail Shafi withdrew his nomination filed under the Social Democratic Party of India (SDPI). Thus, the district election officer and Dakshina Kannada district deputy commissioner Dr Sasikanth Senthil announced that a total of 13 candidates are now in the fray.
The candidates and their symbols are as below:
1. Nalin Kumar Kateel (BJP-Lotus)
2. Mithun Rai (Congress-Hand)
3. S Sathish Salian (BSP-Elephant)
4. Mohammed Ilyas (SDPI-Gas cylinder)
5. Vijay Srinivas C (Uttama Prajakeeya Party–Auto Rickshaw)
6. Supreeth Kumar Poojary (Hindustan Janata Party–Cauliflower)
7. Abdul Hameed (Independent-Key)
8. Alexander (Independent-Diamond)
9. Deepak Rajesh (Independent-Diesel Pump)
10. Mohammed Khalid (Independent-Pressure Cooker)
11. Maxim Pinto (Independent-Pot)
12. Venkatesh Bende (Independent-A man with blowing horn)
13. S Suresh Poojary (Independent-Bat)
Strict action against those forcing officials to stall the voting process
Senthil also informed about the stringent action against those who violate the guidelines. Any incident of misbehaviour inside the polling booth or forcing the officials to stall the voting process citing any reason would be taken seriously and cases will be filed against such people under the Representation of People Act's (RPA) Section 131 (Penalty for disorderly conduct in or near polling stations). Likewise, seeking votes inside the religious centres would also be taken seriously. If any candidate is found seeking votes inside religious centres would be booked under RPA. If a candidate is convicted in such a case would be prohibited from contesting any election for life, Senthil added.
© Copyright NewsKarnataka 2016 . All Rights Reserved.