Mangaluru: The city of Mangaluru is getting ready to celebrate the month of Swami Vivekananda’s birth through a unique youth festival of the coast. Since Swami Vivekananda was known for his youthful zest throughout his lifetime, his birthday is known as “Youth Day” or “Yuva Diwas” and what better way to celebrate his birthday with lively activities planned by city's event management group, 'Planning Gurus' specially for the youth of Konkan coast.
The Coastal Youth Festival 2017 aims at bringing out the spirit of integration among the youth of Karnataka coast through active participation in various fields of interest. A variety of competitions and exhibitions have been lined up for the festival in a bid to keep the spirit of youth alive in all the participating youngsters.
The following are the competitive events queued up for the public:
1. Photography and Short Film Making –This competition is for the shutterbugs out there who are good behind the lens more than in front of it. There will not be any restriction on the type of camera used, but it is all about the quality. Participants may use a phone camera, point and shoot camera or even a DSLR for their shooting requirements.
The same applies to short film making contest where the participants may use mobile phone camera, point and shoot, DSLR or a full fletched video camera to get their desired output. Ideas, composition and the spirit of movie making scores better points than the camera used.
2. Sports and Games – As kadal da javaanyer, the people of the coast have seen and played local sports and games like Kho-kho and Tug of War among others. Participants will show their skills and bring out their talents in a variety of sports which are best played at the beach.
Since the focus is on the youth, games like Kabbadi, Volleyball and Tug of War will take the centre stage while several other sports will be put into order to provide entertainment to audience while the teams lock horns to beat each other.
3. Coastal Wolverine –If you have ever watched American “Spartan: Ultimate Team challenge”, “American Ninja Warrior” or Japanese “Sasuke” and wondered if an obstacle course based sports entertainment can be witnessed in India, the “Coastal Wolverine” challenge is sure to enthrall you.
This challenge will test the grit and determination of its participants with a 3-kilometer run and a ten course obstacle confrontation. This obstacle course consisting of crawling under barbed wire and climbing walls will definitely not be suited for the chocolate heroes. It will take a wolverine to complete the task at the fastest.
This challenge will be the first of its kind to be organised in Mangaluru and will be powered by Zuese Fitness Club. The Coastal Wolverine will be awarded with a t-shirt, some action photographs, a gold finisher medal and a goodie bag.
These events have been lined up for sports, games and fitness enthusiasts to compete against each other to win titles and prizes.
Apart from the competitive events, there will be exhibitions, a road safety awareness drive and a concert to top it off. The non-competitive events include:
1. Traffic Awareness and Road Safety Campaign –As the saying goes, “The Youth of the Nation are Pioneers of Tomorrow”, an awareness campaign for the young motorists has been put into order which will help them realise how important they are to the society and how to protect themselves from traffic externalities.
According to statistics, 40 youngsters under the age of 25 lose their lives every hour in traffic related accidents. The Coastal Youth Festival team thought it is best to conduct traffic awareness and road safety campaign in association with Mangaluru City Traffic Police in multiple places across town.
The campaign will focus on curbing over-speeding, drunken driving, jumping traffic signals, reckless overtaking and use of certified helmets and wearing seatbelts.
2. Exhibitions –Several exhibitions for the youth have been organised by Coastal Youth Festival team to cater to their interests. Firstly, Mangaluru is seeing a boom in the number of supercars, superbikes and vintage cars that take the breath out of car and bike aficionados. In order to take their breath away, Coastal Youth Festival 2017 will bring most of such vehicles to one place.
Secondly, a special exhibition of handcrafted pieces of art will be put on display to evoke the interest in youth regarding art, painting and handicrafts.
3. Various beach based activities –There are certain things a beach lover misses while being in the city. Coastal Youth Festival has taken a note of these activities and will be conducting certain fun filled events accordingly.
National and International kite flyers will fly their kites to the breeze, sand sculptors will use sand and water to make fine art from nature’s gift at the shore. The best part about these activities is that interested people can fly their own kite and sculpt sand structures alongside the professionals.
4. Music Fiesta –Coastal Youth Festival has not left out the one thing that youth cannot live without, music. To give the best in music to the people of Mangaluru, the organising committee has called upon “Raghu Dixit Project”.
For this first time in Raghu Dixit’s music career, he will be performing his fusion folk songs to the people of Mangaluru along with his band. Apart from this, a platform to showcase the talent to rock, a battle of the bands will also be conducted.
Coastal Youth Festival 2017 will begin on January 27 and go on till the end of the month. All the events mentioned above will be conducted at Thannirbhavi Beach in a bid to relieve the visitors of the hassles of the city. Youth Affairs and Sports Department, District Administration, City Police, Kannada and Cultural Department, Tourism Department and Mangaluru City Corporation have extended their support to coastal Youth Festival 2017.
For information and querries, contact Narasimha Shenoy M from 'Planning Gurus' at +91 73534 72855
© Copyright NewsKarnataka 2020 . All Rights Reserved.
Website maintained by Technixserv