Bengaluru: The Common Entrance Test (CET) will be held in the existing format this year, that is, using paper and pencil, and not online.
Karnataka Higher Education Minister GT Devegowda had hinted earlier this week that the CET in Karnataka may be held online only from 2020 and not from this year.
Devegowda, on Wednesday had said that the CET will be held online like the nation-wide NEET and JEE examinations from this year. The minister had also announced that on January 19, a high-level meeting would be held to finalise the details of the procedure.
However, citing technical inadequacy, the minister went back on his statement, on Thursday.
Devegowda said, “We just have two months left for CET and it's not possible to conduct the exams online now. We will work towards upgrading the infrastructure, and can possibly conduct an online test by 2020.”
Backing his statement, a senior Karnataka Examinations Authority official told Deccan Herald, “It’s already January. We have to go through the various options and decide on the service provider. Also, there are some issues to be addressed. We cannot take chance at this point in time. Later we will be blamed if anything goes wrong in the process.”
CET will be held in various parts of the state, including Bengaluru, where around two lakh students appear for the exam conducted as an entrance test to medical, dental and engineering institutes in Karnataka.
© Copyright NewsKarnataka 2016 . All Rights Reserved.